Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hydrotherapy, Accupuncture, and others

My son had an asthma attack on Monday. We we're given the usual inhaled and oral meds - at our follow-up 2 days later, he was still wheezing, but "loose" as the doc said. She referred to him as 'one of those kids... the wheezers.' I know that docs don't mean to be so caustic, but sometimes the blunt manner in which they say things just downright hurts. Makes me angry. Makes me feel rebellious - like I long to show them that we we're above their statistical categorization - a miraculous transformative case of health.

I cannot accept what my doctor has said. We will use the meds, when we need them, but the goal is to be self-sufficient and not need meds at all.

But for now finishing oral steroids and albuterol every 4-6 hours.

Friday I took my son for accupuncture and cupping. He also got some TCM herbal tea that made the mucus in his nose a little looser - helped with cough. But the wheezing persisted.

Saturday morning, the wheezing still there. Finished oral steroids yesterday, God forgive me. Started inhaled steroids, albuterol continued. The wheezing was still there.

Saturday afternoon took my son for hydrotherapy. The naturopath listened to his lungs afterward the session. She said they we're clear. I couldn't believe, but was too afraid to listen myself. Had my mom listen to his lungs when we got home. They we're clear. I was so happy, immediately opened a beer. Cause for celebration.

Sunday, clear lungs. Oh joy. Oh wonderous joy. Thank you! Continuing TCM herbs, inhaled steroids and albuterol every 6 hours. The E.R. visit put the fear in me and I am willing to stick to inhaled steroids. Will phone ped tomorrow re discontinuing albuterol.

Will do hydrotherapy again this week - 1-2 times. Back for acupuncture and cupping again in approx week.

Praying for first frost. Totally insane.

So far implementing
Day 3 of juice introduction. My son is up to 2 tsp of juice that is approx 1oz parsley juice, 1/4 lemon with rind and all, 1 stalk celery, 1/2 apple for taste (but doesn't really help). Bribery is my best friend and my checkbook's undoing.

Also have been working on reducing protein intake - for example today he maybe ate about 3-4 oz total of meat. Still more than goal - about 27-36 g of animal protein. But as I pay more attention to it - I am realizing that he really chowed the meat. He will ask for more at dinner, but I told him there is no more meat - eat the brown rice or greens. He snubbed them for seconds. I know he's lost weight since this whole attack ordeal, but I am just going to give it some time before I start obsessing about him being malnourished.

Interestingly - the diet that the TCM doc gave us has 2 things on it - designed to clear dampness and phlegm in particular - parsley and celery. Hopefully this is sign that we are on right track.

Almost forgot to mention - my son neti's or nose bottle cleans nose at least 1-2x day. This really helps keep the nasal mucous at bay so that he can nose breath. Meeting with Buteyko practitioner later this week. Will post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment